Adventures in Zep Tepi

02 December 2006 | Ft. Pierce
14 November 2006 | In the Atlantic
09 November 2006 | Wrightsville Beach, NC
09 November 2006 | Beaufort, NC
03 November 2006 | Safely in Norfolk
02 November 2006 | Solomon's Island, MD
29 October 2006 | Eastern Shore
25 October 2006 | Annapolis, MD
12 October 2006 | Home in Austin
04 October 2006 | Annapolis
08 September 2006 | Eastport Yacht Club
07 September 2006 | Solomon's Island
07 September 2006 | Solomons Island
14 August 2006 | Norfolk
04 August 2006 | Abeam Camp Lejuene NC
05 July 2006 | Off the coast of SC
01 July 2006 | St. Augustine
30 June 2006 | Smyrna Beach Yacht Club
29 June 2006 | Eau Gaille
20 June 2006 | 5 miles SE of Miami

Back on the water

29 June 2006 | Eau Gaille
Rusty
Here we are back on the water again. Being home in Austin was really wonderful, what a great place to anchor in. We played with the grandkids and our friends for five straight days which went too fast.

On Wednesday we got on the good ole' SW nonstop to Orlando, took a rent car to Vero Beach and got there well before sunset. We went to the beach and found a most interesting restaurant by the name of "Ocean Grill". It was full of antiques including an improbably big stone fireplace. We found out that the restaurant had been a Navy Officers club during WWII. I am convinced that my mom and dad had dinner right where we were sitting nearly sixty years ago. What a different world they were looking at, and how much this place has changed. In any case we had a charming and tasty dinner, then off to shop to replenish ZT.

We arrived at the Vero Beach Yacht Club about 10pm, unpacked, and watched a movie to unwind. It took a while to get to sleep, anticipating the next day's adventure.

Up at dawn, and very pleased with the cleanliness of ZT. A week of afternoon thunderstorms had kept her well washed. We got a friendly hand in getting under way and coasted over to the fuel dock to gas up and get pumped out, and off we went, bound for Eau Gaille Yacht Club in Melbourne.

It was a short but beautiful day on the water. Classic Florida homes everywhere, porpoise playing in the bow wave and wake, birds and fancy boats filled the air and water. The temperature was magically cool. Kay fell asleep in the lee helm chair, but was rudely awakened by the alarm of the auto pilot reaching a check point. I'll turn those off from now on.

Just under the Eau Gaille bridge we made a hard turn to the east and headed for the dragon at the tip of Merritt Island. Sadly, the dragon has fallen on hard times and was no longer a fierce guardian of the Eau Gaille Inlet.

We arrived just as the afternoon duty thunderstorm hit, and got securely moored in the rain with the help of the club dock master. After the rain we took a walking tour of the area and enjoyed the afternoon coolness.

At dinner we were once more delighted with the quality of the food, service, and the hospitality granted to strangers. Several club members came by to visit and make us welcome. It seems that sailors are the same the world over, always interested in where you have been and where you are going next.

On the way back to ZT we say the most amazing sight in the murky river water under the piers. A squadron of about six manta rays glided by in perfect echelon formation as if to show off just for us. A perfect ending to a delightful day.

Tomorrow more travel along the ICW to New Smyrna Beach and our last Florida Yacht Club Council visit. Next, off to St. Augustine to celebrate our 40th anniversary! So many adventures to talk over, we'll be up half the night if we can make it.
Comments
Vessel Name: Zep Tepi
Vessel Make/Model: Endeavourcat 44
Hailing Port: Austin, Texas
Crew: Rusty & Kay
About: Chelsea, Wylie, Beckett, Parker
Extra: Now begins the second voyage of Zep Tepi. St. Pete to Newport and back!

Zep Tepi Permanent Party

Who: Rusty & Kay
Port: Austin, Texas