Adventures in Zep Tepi

02 December 2006 | Ft. Pierce
14 November 2006 | In the Atlantic
09 November 2006 | Wrightsville Beach, NC
09 November 2006 | Beaufort, NC
03 November 2006 | Safely in Norfolk
02 November 2006 | Solomon's Island, MD
29 October 2006 | Eastern Shore
25 October 2006 | Annapolis, MD
12 October 2006 | Home in Austin
04 October 2006 | Annapolis
08 September 2006 | Eastport Yacht Club
07 September 2006 | Solomon's Island
07 September 2006 | Solomons Island
14 August 2006 | Norfolk
04 August 2006 | Abeam Camp Lejuene NC
05 July 2006 | Off the coast of SC
01 July 2006 | St. Augustine
30 June 2006 | Smyrna Beach Yacht Club
29 June 2006 | Eau Gaille
20 June 2006 | 5 miles SE of Miami

Dolphin sighting

09 November 2006 | Beaufort, NC
Rusty


We got a great night sleep in Norfolk at the downtown Waterside Marina after that tough trip down from Annapolis, and we woke up to a beautiful day on Saturday. We immediately joined the southbound flotilla down the ICW to Coinjock, NC, one of our favorite stops. I think the restaurant at the Coinjock marina serves the best fried oysters on the planet! After dinner we settled in and Watched the Longhorns win a tough game against Oklahoma St.

On Sunday we were up at first light and rejoined the company of sun seekers heading south. The ICW in Fall is so very colorful, with all the hardwoods in bright reds and yellows, contrasting to the green of the southern pines. We had great wind across the Albemarle and Pimlico sounds, and even down the Pungo River we made 8 knots for several hours as we approached Green flashing 23 anchor about an hour after sunset. We put out about twice the anchor road than what we needed, but we were not taking any chances.

Monday we had to make about seventy five miles to get to Beaufort, NC. About 10 miles above Beaufort the water turned green and crystal clear, and to our delight we spotted the first dolphins of our trip south. That made us feel like we were making progress even though we had over 600 miles to go. With good wind and even some help from southbound current we pulled into the city docks just after sunset. The dock master wanted us tucked into a very tight spot, but fortunately, the famous Beaufort current was slack, and we had no problem getting moored.

We were too tired to deal with cooking, and anxious to tour this delightful southern fishing village, so we took advice from locals and walked over to the Beaufort Grocery Store for a delightful dinner. However, we had our taste buds set for Low Country shrimp and grits, which were not on the menu. Thus began a culinary search culminating in a fabulous grits dinner last night at the "waterfront grill", just a few hundred feet from ZT.

Election day started out OK, nice and warm, and no wind. We took advantage of the lack of wind by raising myself on the bosun chair so I could re-rig the port and starboard flag halyards which had been blown away by the bad weather over the summer. Kay had her chance to drop me and collect the insurance, but she decided that I was useful to get her home, so she handled the winch smartly. We now are flying our national ensign and the St. Pete and Useppa burgee which have been missing for some time.

Just as we were heading out for an afternoon walk a fierce storm hit with driving rain and high winds which lasted well into last night. So we hunkered down with our books and enjoyed the luxury of a rainy afternoon of reading. After a while we ventured out and visited the local museum which was very much fun. Besides telling the story of the North Carolina coast, the museum had the best study full of interesting books and magazines, and a great fireplace and couch��we felt right at home. I bought a couple of raffle tickets for a handcrafted sail boat in the local style, and got two interesting books, one on ship wrecks on the Carolina coast, the other on Civil War Blunders.

We decided to stay two extra night in Beaufort because of the weather and the fact that I needed to replace a water pump on my starboard engine that was starting to show a little leaking. I've learned not to let anything like that develop once spotted. the pay off was a spectacular six mile walk this morning along the waterfront and through the village. Bock after block of southern colonial homes looking across Taylor Creed at the barrier islands, and yes, even saw the wild horses on carrot and horse island.

After lunch we drove a marina courtesy car over to Moorehead City to pick up my parts. I spent the afternoon installing the water pump and Kay wrote post cards. Altogether, a very nice day. The weather has cleared, ZT is cleaned up and ready for sea in all respects. Our tummys are full from Kay's great pasta dinner, and we are ready to continue south tomorrow.

One of the really neat treats of this journey is meeting other boaters doing the same trip. Everyone is interested in where you have been, where you are going, and how you and your boat
are holding up. It is adventurous lot, that makes this yearly trek. I read that nearly 13,000 boats make the journey every year. We are happy to be amongst these happy folks. This morning I met a sailor from Lubbock of all places.

Well, it's time to turn in, we find ourselves awaking at first light every day, anxious to press on. I think we have ten more days to go to make Ft. Pierce, and we are anxious to get home and prepare for a big family Thanks Giving.






















Comments
Vessel Name: Zep Tepi
Vessel Make/Model: Endeavourcat 44
Hailing Port: Austin, Texas
Crew: Rusty & Kay
About: Chelsea, Wylie, Beckett, Parker
Extra: Now begins the second voyage of Zep Tepi. St. Pete to Newport and back!

Zep Tepi Permanent Party

Who: Rusty & Kay
Port: Austin, Texas