Sailing Scot

Join Capt. Tom and Crew on his exciting voyages as he crosses the World's Oceans

23 June 2015
22 June 2015
21 June 2015
19 June 2015
18 June 2015
16 June 2015
12 June 2015
09 June 2015
06 June 2015
04 June 2015
03 June 2015
01 June 2015
26 May 2015
25 May 2015 | Port Elizabeth
25 November 2013 | 30 deg 32 min S and 016 deg 11 min E

Ten days!!

01 February 2010 | 19 deg 51 min S; 000 deg 06 E
Tom
Ten days out and the ship-board routine has really settled in.

Watch-keeping is paramount and governs all other activities. Without the boat on track and sailing efficiently we won't be going any where. Although with the earlier contrary winds I thought that was actually the case.The South East winds have been with us a few days now and we have been going on a much better straight course for St. Helena with improved daily mileages.

The ocean around us has also changed, and much for the better. I wanted to comment before about it. Leaving the in-shore zone of water which darker in colour, here we have the most beautiful clear blue water. What I fondly call "The Big Blue." So clear that you can see right through it.

Also not mentioned before, and chastising me for it is our forth crew member on board. Moby has been my sailing companion for several years now and is quite peeved that I took him for granted and did not introduce him properly.The little bear wearing his sailor suit is now sitting at the "chart table"seeing that we fill the log book in correctly. Perched on the fire blanket he has a good view of the proceedings and has the blanket at the ready should we need it at the galley stove.

Speaking of the galley, food is the other big daily routine. We have taken to having all our meals together and I must say that it is most pleasant for me and I am sure the others too. Frequently crews have their breakfasts as they need it as some are sleeping or going on or off watch. We wait until all three of us are awake, usually at about seven and then eat together, most civilized. Outside on the patio by the pool, my dear! This mornings breakfast was beans on toast, whilst Saturday's lunch was a baked bread and butter pudding. Evening meals have consisted of such fare as chicken and vegetable bake, various pastas and also chops pot-fried with onions and peppers. Doing the in a pot avoids the inevitable splashing of a frying pan. Mark is an excellent chopper of veggies and such things and has been turning out the greatest cole-slaws.

Today we passed from the Trades weather forecast area into the St. Helena area. Another indication of our progress.

I understand that Shaun has started the web-blog up again with the addressat www.sailblogs.com/member/zs1ta

Cheers, Tom
Comments
Vessel Name: Allora
Hailing Port: Cape Town
Crew: Tom and 2 Other
About:
Extra:
This Blog is being managed on Tom's behalf by Shaun ZS1RA. www.sailblogs/member/leopard Tom is a part time sailor, part time engineer, part time electronics expert, etc... He has successfully delivered and crewed on Multi Million Dollar Yachts for Southern Wind Yachts amongst many [...]

Tom Ambrose - ZS1TA

Who: Tom and 2 Other
Port: Cape Town