Sailing Scot

Join Capt. Tom and Crew on his exciting voyages as he crosses the World's Oceans

23 June 2015
22 June 2015
21 June 2015
19 June 2015
18 June 2015
16 June 2015
12 June 2015
09 June 2015
06 June 2015
04 June 2015
03 June 2015
01 June 2015
26 May 2015
25 May 2015 | Port Elizabeth
25 November 2013 | 30 deg 32 min S and 016 deg 11 min E

St Helena Island

09 February 2010
Tom
Pic: RMS at sunset

It's rather strange sailing a boat without a name. Boat names are rather special and often bring out the character of the vessel. Here however we only have a number and whilst it is serving us well it's just not thee same. The lack of a name was highlighted with our short stop at the island of St. Helena. We soon got used to calling the authorities with our number however.

The short stop allowed us to catch up with some much needed work that was not possible whilst on the move, and should stand us in good stead with the condition of the boat later in the delivery. It was possible to go ashore and top up some supply items and stretch our legs a bit. We all enjoyed the visit to the island, with its special nature and the utter friendliness of the people. For me it was wonderful to be able to say Hi and reacquaint with so many friends from previous visits. Walking up the main street into town was a slow process as there was someone to greet every few steps.

Yeah for a county with NO cells phones... Mark was able to get a cell phone charger, and with a little sticky tape, chewing gum and the helpfulness of the islanders it has been converted into an ebook charger, so the library is open... a good thing too as all the mp3 players are now dead due to the laptops inability to charge items via the USB port, means that there is alot of reading to do, as the only 'classical music' we have 3 CD of Elvis!!!- thank you, thank you very muuuch.

There was a great deal of activity as the RMS St. Helena, the islands supply ship, also arrived on Friday. It had brought with it "THE QUEENS BATON" which is a special baton with a message from Queen Elizabeth ll to all the Commonwealth countries around the world. This baton will continue on it's ways to all the member countries while making its way to the Commonwealth Games later this year. Various events were held to let as many people see and pass it on as possible. Leaving the island yesterday afternoon it was already low on the horizon when the sunset in spectacular fashion. The western sky was ablaze with oranges, reds and pinks in a sight to behold. Darker clouds provided a framework to the scene and gave it great perspective and depth. During the spectacle the RMS St. Helena passed us way off to port on her way to Ascension Island and looked splendid adding to the wonderful sight. I still say one can only get these sunsets out here on the ocean! Having left in light conditions which have improved a little we are now continuing on our way northwards.

Cheers Tom, Mark and Troye.
Comments
Vessel Name: Allora
Hailing Port: Cape Town
Crew: Tom and 2 Other
About:
Extra:
This Blog is being managed on Tom's behalf by Shaun ZS1RA. www.sailblogs/member/leopard Tom is a part time sailor, part time engineer, part time electronics expert, etc... He has successfully delivered and crewed on Multi Million Dollar Yachts for Southern Wind Yachts amongst many [...]

Tom Ambrose - ZS1TA

Who: Tom and 2 Other
Port: Cape Town